Wednesday, May 18, 2011

On Eating Habits

Breakfast, I have been told, is the most important meal of the day. I understand the reasoning for this - you need something to get your metabolism going if you want to function at your physical and mental peaks. Still, I also know just how difficult it is to actually feel like eating when you've just been forced to get out of a brilliantly comfortable bed, and you are faced with the prospect of a hard day sledging away at rocks with a pickaxe. Or is that coding? I may have just confused my work-day with a past life as a miner on the planet Metebelis III.

Because I am friends with a large number of students, as well as a fair number of programmers, I get to see some fairly...um..."interesting" eating habits, when it comes to breakfast. I'm not exactly sure why I'm so intimately aware of certain people's eating habits, and yet here I am about to discuss them on The Internet. I know that Spud, for instance, has tea - every morning. Some mornings he may have toast, some mornings he may not eat anything at all - but he always has tea (and I know that English Breakfast (or 'red box'), Earl Grey (or 'yellow box') and Irish Breakfast (or 'green box') are amongst his favourites, too...) Shibby, on the other hand, is more of a cereal kind of gal (did I really just say that?) eating one of the relatively healthier cereal option, like something along the lines of All Bran.

I Heard What You Said

For me, however, breakfast is relatively large. I would like to make it the largest meal I eat, but I just can't seem to overcome the need to have a big lunch - baby steps, I guess. Because I am, truth be told, a gigantic flipping weeaboo, I've taken to going the Japanese route for the majority of my meals - this means that my breakfast typically consists of some rice (white at the moment, but I'm going to try to move to the unprocessed stuff in the coming weeks), a portion of smoked salmon, a handful of pickled vegetables, and a bowl of miso soup. People, upon hearing that I'm basically eating dinner at breakfast time, initially take the "What the hell are you doing?! Aren't you trying to lose weight?!" route when attempting to discern what my thought process is when choosing food. What various individuals fail to grasp, however, is that people tend to have this whole eating thing backwards and, in the same way that when dancing you have a big fish, a little fish, and then a cardboard box to wrap it all up, when planning your daily meals you should have the largest meal at breakfast, then a smaller meal at lunch, and finally your smallest "wrap up" meal at dinner time - oh, and you should include lots of fish, too...but you could probably leave the cardboard out, unless you're really starved for fibre.

I Couldn't Find A Decent Gif To Explain BF LF CBB, So I Found One Of Pokemon Raving Instead...

I can't help, then, but wonder what makes up a "usual" daily dietary routine. I mean, I eat my breakfast before I leave for work (at 8:00am, in fact.) I have some rice crackers at 10:30, to tide me over until lunch (which either happens at midday or 1:00pm, depending on when my friends are eating) and I chow down on an apple when I get home from work (at about 5:00pm - though I really need to start having my apple a bit earlier in the afternoon.) Dinner is my biggest issue at the moment - some nights I don't have it at all (though really that was because I was kinda sick and didn't feel particularly hungry.) When I do have dinner now it's just some more miso soup and steak, with some veggies in there for good luck (well, good nutrition really I guess, but that doesn't sound anywhere near as good...Do you feel like a big man now, having ruined my linguistic fun?)

What do normal people do when it comes to foodenating? I kind of assumed that the typical person male (whom I shall address as Bob) eats either a bowl of cereal, or some toast with bacon and eggs. To drink I think that Bob has some orange juice (ick) or coffee  - I don't see Bob as a tea drinker, and I doubt he eats fruit in the morning. Bob's female counterpart (who I shall name...uh...Bobina...) most likely has some toast, a piece of fruit, and a cup of coffee as she runs out the door - I'm not certain as to why, but that's the only visual I can get when I picture Bobina's morning ritual, I mean, sure Bobina would like to sit down and enjoy a nice meal in the morning but there's just no time what with her having to take the kids to school, and then she has that high-powered business meeting that she has to attend. How can you expect her to eat right under those circumstances? Jerk.

I don't think that Bob has morning or afternoon tea, and I'm pretty certain that he only has a couple of sandwiches for lunch (unless it's Friday, in which case he goes out to lunch with his colleagues.) Bobina has a muesli bar and some fruit for her between meal snacks, but she has a small lunch made up of some kind of canned fish and sliced vegetables (or fruit, masquerading as vegetables - I'm looking at you tomato and cucumber) on some wheat thins. Overall, I wouldn't rate their daily meals as overly satisfying or healthy, but it's what they have to make do with given the time that they have. Dinner is most likely the same for both, and I'm pretty sure it's something like spaghetti bolongaise - heavy on the meat and pasta, low on the vegetables.) Still, you can't really blame Bob and Bobina for their eating habits, I guess...

I Tried To Find A Picture Of Someone Literally Eating A Habit...But I Couldn't - Have A Red Panda Instead
The moral of this story is that, when you think about effective weight-loss dieting on the way to work, you will probably write a blog on food. This also has the tendency to make one quite hungry and, given that I ate whilst writing this, I'm going to assume that it's actually a thirst response, and not legitimate hunger. Stupid need for liquid pretending that it's actually a need for solids. It's a coward, that's what it is. Well, I'll show it. I'm off to buy some water.

1 comment:

  1. There is, essentially, no such thing as unprocessed rice - or atleast, not with what is available in a typical supermarket. The brown rice tends to be white rice with the other stuff re-added.

    ReplyDelete