Wednesday, May 4, 2011

On Corruption And Collections

I like Doctor Who. In that statement is possibly one of the largest understatements of my life. I really like Doctor Who. A lot. So great is my love for Doctor Who that...well...it surpasses my love for many other non-sentient entities (and even some of the sentient ones.) This is, I feel, a rather important piece of information for you to know before I begin to relay to you the tale of Sunday night.

It Was A Dark And Story Night...

There we were, huddled around the TV, watching "Day Of The Moon" (the latest offering from the Doctor Who universe) being generally frightened by the enemy in question (although if I name them before it airs in Australia, Shibby will murder me) and having our minds completely blown by the ending (the spoiling of which will definitely get me killed.) It would not, of course, be a session of watching Doctor Who if it weren't for those two events. It was also, however, quite monumental as we finally convinced Elmo to start watching Doctor Who, to try and "get into it" as it were. Admittedly he will only commence his viewing from the first episode of the new series, but I know when to not push my luck.

This Contains Almost All Of The Info For The Spoiler I Wanted...It's A Hint At Least...

So I switched the media server over to my Sorted Live Action drive, in an effort to bring up my monumental collection of Doctor Who only to discover it wasn't there. This has, of course, happened before - the server software is known for being somewhat cantankerous, and occasional restarts of my PC and the PS3 are required. Still, nothing would have prepared me for what was to go down on this fateful night. As I restarted my computer, waiting for windows to load, I noticed a screen that never appeared...a disk check - something had corrupted, and files had been orphaned...I watched as it listed them before me...hundreds of files...all in one folder (well, not all in one folder, but the vast majority of them...) I logged into my PC, and quickly checked my drive. It was gone. Missing. Kaput. I had just lost my entire Doctor Who collection to Hard Drive Corruption. I also lost some Muppet Show, and maybe some other things. But most saddening of all was the Doctor Who.

I'm Sorry... I'm So, So Sorry

Spud, Squiggles, and Elmo spent a great portion of the night trying to restore the drive to its former glory, but to no avail - and it has since deteriorated further. Alas, it seems that this drive is on the last of its regenerations, and shall instead die until it is dead. That is, I suppose, what happens when one buys HDDs from a Computer Fair, and keeps that at near capacity for almost a month. And so, in my malaise, I have decided to allow my love for Doctor Who to rise, like a phoenix from its own ashes (not that it ever really died...) Yes, for you see whilst hardware failure may have struck down my passion, in doing so it has only caused it to become stronger than ever before.

I am, as some of you will know, quite obsessive when it comes to something I really put my mind to. I have a Minecraft project going, now, that will possibly take me into the depths of insanity. If I start collecting a manga series, then I will finish it. And if I set my mind to collecting every episode of Doctor Who, then I will damn well collect every episode of Doctor Who. But I'm sick of having them on my computer. I feel that the people involved in the show have given me so much love, and have earnt so much of my respect, that I will actually purchase every Doctor Who DVD that I possibly can.

All This, And More, Will Be Mine!

To this end I have started a Google Document that contains my progress on obsessively hunting down these DVDs. It will list my progress, and it will allow me to keep tabs on it in a nice, orderly, manic fashion. It will also allow you to see which ones I'm missing, in case you ever wanted to do something nice for me. I will have them all. They will be mine. Even the ones that were junked by the BBC. I will find a way.

2 comments:

  1. *salutes*

    Gods speed sir, i wish you luck in your heroic endevour. Also Amy dies in the first episode.

    Warning! The above contains spoilers

    ReplyDelete
  2. *wipes tear from eye* Alas poor hard drive, we knew him well.

    Glad to hear you are keeping the dream alive. Never give up hope young man...never!!

    ReplyDelete